For Passport Applicants
As an official U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility, we are happy to help you apply for your passport or for your child's passport.
UAB Passport Services is open to the public. You do not have to be a UAB student or employee to apply for a U.S. passport at UAB.
Estamos encantados de ayudarle en la solicitud de su pasaporte o el pasaporte de su hijo. Usted no tiene que ser un estudiante de la UAB o empleado para solicitar un pasaporte de EE.UU. en la UAB.
Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are preferred in order to minimize your wait time. To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-975-6357. We often have same-day and/or next day appointments available!
We are open:
8:00 - 5:00 Monday
8:00 - 5:00 Tuesday
8:00 - 5:00 Wednesday
8:00 - 5:00 Thursday
9:00 - 5:00 Friday
Like us on Facebook for more information and other ways of contacting us.
The U.S. Department of State requires that we split your passport cost into two separate payments.
Before you come see us, please make your first payment at our secure website by clicking here.
Then, bring with you all of the items listed below to our office.
- A personal check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State (for the remaining portion of your passport cost). Per Department of State rules, this $110 fee must be paid via check or money order ($80 for persons under age 16) and a separate check or money order must be used for each applicant. Expedited processing and next business day shipping are available for additional cost. The closest place to get a money order is the Regions Bank branch located in the UAB Tinsley Harrison Tower at 1900 University Boulevard.
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship or nationality- ONE of these documents:
- certified U.S. birth certificate (see note at bottom of page*);
- Certificate of Naturalization;
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Photo-bearing proof of identity- ONE of these documents:
- previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport (required if you have one);
- valid Alabama (see note below**) driver's license;
- valid out-of-state driver's license AND UAB identification card;
- Certificate of Naturalization;
- Certificate of Citizenship;
- government employee identification card (federal, state, or municipal); or
- official military identification card (see note below**)
Want to speed up your appointment? Print this form, fill it out at home, then bring it to your appointment. If you have questions on any items, leave those blank and we'll help you at your appointment.
The UAB Passport Services office is located in the Hill Student Center (1400 University Blvd.), suite 103.
The Hill Student Center is conveniently accessible via several different routes on the Blazer Express bus system. In addition, a Zyp BikeShare station is located directly in front of the building on University Blvd.
Very close parking is available at:
- the Hill Student Center parking lot (entrance on 16th Street South),
- the Hill Student Center front driveway (entrance is on 14th Street South),
- in front of the Hill Student Center (along 14th Street South),
- along the north side of the Hill Student Center (on 7th Avenue South), and
- the 9th Avenue Parking Deck (1602 9th Ave. South).
Application Status Updates
Looking for an update on your in-process passport application? Conveniently check using the Department of State's Online Passport Status System by clicking here. You may also call the National Passport Information Center at their number listed here. Under the privacy act, UAB Passport Services is prohibited from obtaining status information on behalf of an applicant, rather that information must be provided by the Department of State directly to the applicant.
*A certified U.S. birth certificate is acceptable as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship if it includes all of the following: a file date within one year of birth; full name, including given name; the date and place of birth; the registrar's signature; the raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored authorized seal of the registrar's office; and the full name(s) of the parent(s) of the bearer. Photocopies and notarized copies are unacceptable. The birth certificate must be issued from one of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico (issued after June 2010), U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands (since November 4, 1986), American Samoa, or Swains Island.
**If you can't submit one of these items, or you have a non-Alabama driver's license, you'll have to bring additional Secondary Identification to your appointment. Temporary or learner's permits are not accepted.