Scholarships and Studying Abroad
You can use the scholarships that you are already receiving to study abroad. Be sure to check the details below for specific information pertaining to your scholarship.
You will need to complete a consortium agreement in order to receive your financial aid and scholarships to use for your study abroad program. The consortium agreement can be found on your UAB application.
If you are receiving a UAB academic scholarship, you must also submit a scholarship appeal form to the Office of Undergraduate Scholarships prior to the start date for your program. The appeal form allows you to request an exception to the renewal requirements for your award. If the form is not submitted, your scholarship may not disburse during your program (fall and spring only). It may also result in the probation or cancellation of your award. To obtain a scholarship appeal form, please contact the Scholarships Office at email@example.com.
Your scholarships and financial aid will be applied directly to your UAB students account and then refunded to you. It is important to set up direct deposit through BlazerNET to ensure your funds arrive to your bank quickly. Your funds will be released after your consortium agreement is completed and on the first date of your program. UAB/USAC, UAB/ISA and UAB/CISabroad programs all allow payment deferment for fees covered by financial aid and scholarships.
- Alabama PACT or GI dependent scholarship have additional requirements. Please contact the Office of Education Abroad Coordinator if you receive these scholarships.
- If you're receiving the UAB Educational Assistance for UAB Employees and Their Families, you can apply that scholarship to tuition for UAB Exchanges and UAB Faculty-led Programs.
- If you've won the UAB Presidential Scholarship for National Merit Finalists and National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars, you have a one-time $2,500 stipend to be used for an Education Abroad program! Simply complete this form and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Scholarships.
UAB Office of Education Abroad Scholarships
Thanks to our generous supporters, the Office of Education Abroad administers several scholarships! For details on our scholarships and to apply, click here.
UAB ScholarshipsMany units across UAB offer scholarships that can fund education abroad! Visit each website below for details. If you have questions, contact the scholarship granting unit directly.
- University-wide scholarships
- Collat School of Business
- College of Arts and Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
- Honors College
National and International Study Abroad Scholarships
Organizations outside of UAB also offer scholarships that can fund education abroad! Visit each website below for deadlines, eligibility, and application instructions. If you have questions, contact the scholarship granting organization directly.
- AllTheRooms.com Room to Travel Study Abroad Scholarship
- Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society Stemler Study Abroad Scholarship
- American University in Dubai Clinton Scholarship
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- Boren Scholarships (for less commonly taught languages)
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
- BUTEX Scholarship (for study abroad in the United Kingdom)
- Carter Foundation Scholarship
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- DAAD Scholarships (for study in Germany)
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Gilman Scholarship (for Pell Grant recipients)
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- International Studies Abroad
- Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship
- Japan Student Services Organization Student Exchange Support Program
- LIVFund Scholarship (for study in Latin America)
- New Zealand Education Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Scott's Cheap Flights Study Abroad Scholarship
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship
- Towels African Study Abroad Scholarship
- U.S. Department of State
- University Studies Abroad Consortium
You should also inquire at:
- Religious organizations
- Organizations related to your heritage
- Parent's company or their organizational affiliations
- Government website for your destination country
- Honor societies
Have you found a scholarship that should appear on this list? Does your organization have a scholarship for education abroad? Please email us!