In the event of an emergency abroad, the faculty leader will follow the steps outlined below.
- Assemble students at primary emergency meeting point, or backup emergency meeting point if primary point is compromised.
- Account for presence and safety of all students.
- Take students to a local medical facility to seek assistance if necessary.
- Notify the Office of Education Abroad insurer Cultural Insurance Services International, using the contact information on the insurance card that was emailed to each traveler before departure.
- Contact the local U.S. Embassy.
- Contact the U.S. Department of State Hotline for American Travelers at 202-647-5225.
- Contact the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Overseas Citizens Services at 202-501-4444 (emergency number).
- Contact host country authorities, as appropriate.
- Contact the Office of Education Abroad.
- Call 205-975-6611 > dial 0 at the end of the voicemail message > will connect to the after-hours emergency hotline.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and the Office of Education Abroad Director, if urgent contact is not necessary.
After an Emergency Abroad
Following an emergency abroad, the faculty leader will complete an Office of Education Abroad Incident Report and email it to the Office of Education Abroad Director as soon as possible following the incident.
In the event of a disciplinary incident, the faculty leader will follow the protocol detailed here.