Skip to content

For Passport Applicants

Appointments- This location requires appointments! We do not accept walk-ins.

As an official U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility, we are happy to help you apply for your passport or for your child's passport.  

UAB Passport Services is open to the public. You do not have to be a UAB student or employee to apply for a U.S. passport at UAB, however, appointments are required for all applicants. We are unable to accept walk-ins.  


You can also schedule an appointment by emailing or call 205-975-6357. Emails are preferable as the passport agent is not able to answer phones during passport appointments.

(The only acceptance facility in Birmingham that accepts walk-ins is the Birmingham Main Post Office located at 351 24TH ST N BIRMINGHAM, AL 35203. However, they are known to have long lines/long wait times.)

Special Announcements:

UAB Passport Services will be closed on the following dates:
Thursday November 22, 2018
Friday November 23, 2018


We are open:
Monday          8:30am - 11:00am and 1:30pm- 4:00pm
Tuesday         8:30am - 11:00am and 1:30pm- 4:00pm
Wednesday    8:30am - 11:00am and 1:30pm- 4:00pm
Thursday        8:30am - 11:00am and 1:30pm- 4:00pm
Friday             9:30am - 11:00am and 1:30pm- 4:00pm

Like us on Facebook for more information and other ways of contacting us.


The U.S. Department of State requires that we split your passport cost into two separate payments.  

Before you come see us, please make your first payment at our secure website by clicking here.

Then, bring with you all of the items listed below to our office.

  1. A personal check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State. Per Department of State rules, this fee must be paid via check or money order. There must be a separate check or money order used for each applicant. Expedited processing and next business day shipping are available for additional cost. The fees are different for adults and minors. For passport purposes, an adult is considered anyone 16 years of age or older. The fees are as follows:
    • For Passport Book (flights and cruises)
      • 6 Week Routine Passport Book - $110 for adults/ $80 for minors 
      • 4 Week Expedited Passport Book- $170 for adults/ $140 for minors
      • 3 Week Express Passport Book- $185.89 for adults/ $155.89 for minors
    • For Passport Card (cruises only and driving into Canada and Mexico)
      • 6 Week Routine Passport Card - $30 for adults/ $15 for minors
      • 4 Week Expedited Passport Book- $90 for adults/ $75 for minors
      • There is no 3 week expedited option for passport cards.
  2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship or nationality- ONE of these documents:
    • Certified U.S. birth certificate (see note at bottom of page*);
    • U.S. passport (valid or expired);
    • Certificate of Naturalization;
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
    • Certificate of Citizenship.
  3. Proof of identityONE of these documents:
    • Valid Alabama driver's license. (If you are from out of state it helps to have an additional picture ID such as a work badge or school ID card)
    • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
    • Valid out-of-state driver's license AND UAB identification card;
    • Certificate of Naturalization;
    • Certificate of Citizenship;
    • Government employee identification card (federal, state, or municipal); or
    • Official military identification card (see note below**)
  4. Passport Photo- You can bring your own passport photo or you can have one taken here at our facility. We charge $10.00 for our passport photos. If you would like to bring your own photo, please make sure that you get them taken at a reputable source. You can look over the Department of State's Passport Photo Website for photo requirements.
If the applicant is under 16 years of age, click here to review additional requirements applicable to child passports. (Si el solicitante es menor de 16 años de edad, haga clic aqui para revisar los requisitos adicionales aplicables a los pasaportes infantiles).

Want to speed up your appointment?  Print this form, fill it out at home, then bring it to your appointment. If you have questions on any items, leave those blank and we'll help you at your appointment. 


The UAB Passport Services office is located in the Hill Student Center (1400 University Blvd.), Suite 103.

The Hill Student Center is conveniently accessible via several different routes on the Blazer Express bus system.

Very close parking is available at:

  • the Hill Student Center parking lot (entrance on 16th Street South),
  • the Hill Student Center front driveway (entrance is on 14th Street South),
  • in front of the Hill Student Center (along 14th Street South), 
  • along the north side of the Hill Student Center (on 7th Avenue South), and
  • the 9th Avenue Parking Deck (1602 9th Ave. South).

Application Status Updates

Looking for an update on your in-process passport application? Conveniently check using the Department of State's Online Passport Status System by clicking here. You may also call the National Passport Information Center at their number listed here. Under the privacy act, UAB Passport Services is prohibited from obtaining status information on behalf of an applicant, rather that information must be provided by the Department of State directly to the applicant.  

*A certified U.S. birth certificate is acceptable as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship if it includes all of the following: a file date within one year of birth; full name, including given name; the date and place of birth; the registrar's signature; the raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored authorized seal of the registrar's office; and the full name(s) of the parent(s) of the bearer.  Photocopies and notarized copies are unacceptable. The birth certificate must be issued from one of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico (issued after June 2010), U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands (since November 4, 1986), American Samoa, or Swains Island.

The  Office of Education Abroad protects your payment card information by maintaining compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.