Skip to content


Education Abroad Insurance

All UAB students traveling internationally, and UAB employees traveling internationally with students for UAB-related programs and/or business are required to purchase education abroad insurance through the Office of Education Abroad.

Currently, this Education Abroad insurance costs the traveler approximately $50. If you are a UAB student, your UAB student account will automatically be billed. If you will be traveling as a UAB employee, your insurance will be paid for in the manner determined by your employing department.

You will receive an email with the insurance policy information about one week before departure.  Look for an email from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  Print that email and any attachments and retain them in your possession during travel.

How to Sign Up

To sign up for the insurance, complete your online study abroad application with the Office of Education Abroad.  Then you'll automatically be signed up approximately one week prior to your departure.

If you are a student attending conferences or research abroad, please click here to start your application.  

If you are an employee traveling internationally with students, click here to register your travel.

Plan Information

For detailed information about the Education Abroad insurance policy, please view the policy brochure here.

Students on USAC, CISabroad and ISA Affiliate Programs 

If you're studying abroad on a USAC, ISA or CISabroad program, you'll be insured by your program provider. Please contact your program provider directly with any questions about your plan.